Thursday, November 21, 2013

Egg toast

I've always called this Egg Toast but I learned that Sean calls them Eagles Nests. I like his name better. It's as simple to make as frying an egg.


I learned how to make these using a biscuit cutter and just cut a hole in the center of the bread. I have also simply used my fingers to tear a hole out. But my favorite is to use cookie cutters and experiment with different shapes.


I melt some butter. 


A spray oil is a healthier option. I don't like using cooking sprays because of what is in them but this is a kitchen spritzer from pampered chef, and I'm sure other companies make them. I put in olive oil, pump it up and spray. Real nice an the oil lasts a while so it's also much cheaper. 


Place the bread with the hole, into the pan. Then crack an egg in it. I like my yolks slightly runny but you can always break the yoke by poking it with the cracked eggshell or a fork.


This is the best time to add your seasonings. I like ground sea salt and ground pepper.



When the egg is cooked to your liking, usually only takes a couple minutes or so, then flip it over.


As an experiment, I tried making it with scrambled eggs, no milk.


It doesn't really work out.


I can't see the pumpkin shape, not even a little.


In a separate pan or after cooking all the eagles nests, lightly toast the centers.


Both sides.


The shapes aren't perfect but with the browned centers you can always tell what shape you made.


I like to use a griddle when making multiple breakfasts. Much faster and they are all done at the same time.



After flipping the eggs, I can get the centers started browning without them being in the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment